This is probably going to turn out to be one of my token "cheesy" posts that seem to be a part of every blog at some point in time. I apologize beforehand!
Shortly after I moved to Greensboro I bought myself a bird feeder. Mostly because I was unemployed at the time and wanted living creatures to keep me company while I watched tv. And they have!--it's been great. There are at least 10 different kinds of birds that come and get fat off of my birdseed. Recently I have been aquiring more and more cardinals. At first there were only 3 that I knew of (named Marvin, Marissa, and Marsha). Now I have a least 8 (I still call all of them Marvin, Marissa, or Marsha because I can't tell them all apart anymore). This weekend I viewed the most adorable thing among some of my cardinal friends, and it's still been making my heart smile.
One of my Marvins has a baby. Which I have known, because I've spotted him feeding it sometimes. But this weekend I discovered Marvin has three babies! These babies aren't very little, they are almost as big as Marvin is, but you can tell by the way that they follow him around that they belong to him. The three babies were sitting on my patio eating the seeds that had fallen out of the feeder. Their beaks are not as big yet though, so I think sometimes they still need help cracking the shells. Well, Marvin swooped down to the other side of the patio to eat some food for himself, and immediately all 3 of his babies RAN straight toward him sqeaking loudly and fluffing their feathers. And Marvin hopped around, breaking seeds open, and put them in his babies' mouths. They just followed him around and every time he stopped, they would stand right in front of his face with their beaks open wide making the loudest chirping sounds ever. And Marvin didn't get tired of them or ignore them, he just kept feeding them. First of all, that was just the cutest thing ever. Secondly, it momentarily made me think of Jesus.
Confession: For awhile now, I don't read my Bible except in church. I don't have quiet times. And I don't really pray. And I don't feel guilty. I'd say I'm still a Christian and am just a little lost right now, but I'm sure there are plenty of people that would doubt my sincerity. But these birds made me think of Jesus, and His care. First it made me think of the verse in the Bible mentioning that if God takes care of even the smallest bird, don't you think He will take care of you? And also I was just thinking about His provision. That He doesn't get tired of caring for us, that He promises our daily bread (or in this case, bird seed), and that He hears our sqeaks for fulfillment.
I'm sure Marvin was just acting on instinct to care for his three little birds, and that he doesn't have the capacity for love that you and I do, but to me it was just a small glimpse of Heaven on earth. End of cheesy post.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hey there missy. I've been MORE than a little lost in my faith, many times. You were there for a few of them. :) And it's ok. The Holy Spirit binds us to Himself and whether or not we feel the Truth of that, we are secure. And this scripture meant a lot to me a couple of years ago and thought I would share it with you...
"The people remained at a distance, while Moses approached the thick darkness WHERE GOD WAS." (Exodus 20:21). Sometimes the darkness is where you'll find Him. Sometimes it's where He finds you. Either way, He's bound to you by the blood of His Son and that settles everything else. Thanks for your cheesy post, Ames. :)
Okay I seriously laughed out loud at my office and had to stop reading at different intervals to control the laughter. I love Marvin and that you name lots of birds Marvin just in case :-)
Post a Comment