Thursday, August 27, 2009

Minus the rotten fish

So today I've been thinking a lot about our 5 senses (don't ask). I was thinking about our seeing and smelling and touching and hearing and tasting. I've really been struck by the sense of smell, and what a gift it is. I mean, let's think: we have hearing aids to assisting with hearing, lenses to assist with seeing, dentures to assist with chewing which assists with tasting. But smelling is unique. Smelling isn't really needed for communication the way the other senses are. Of course, having the sense of smell can be useful, as in detecting a fire by smelling smoke, etc. But I think when it comes down to it, smelling is just a gift of beauty. We can get along fine without it. And sure since we're in a fallen world there are things unpleasant to smell (ie rotten fish). But how sad to not be able to smell lumber, flowers, varnish, sea breeze, perfume, fresh cut grass, snow, baking bread, candles, cinnamon, freshly printed pages of a book, blueberries, woodsmoke, and coffee. I think really the main purpose of the sense of smell is for our enjoyment, and how awesome is that?? I love it when God gives us things that we could absolutely live with out, but by having them life is so much more enjoyable. So there's your random thought for the day--so go smell something good and enjoy the gift!!

1 comment:

Dani said...

I like this. :) What a wonderful thought...that our sense of smell is "a waste" of beauty. Thanks for the thought, my dear.