Sunday, February 1, 2009

Soggy mattresses in Greensboro

I think I will never become a native Greensboridian/Greensborite. "Why?", you might ask. Well, let me tell you. It has to do with furniture.

There is some mysterious rule in Greensboro that I have not encountered in any of the other three cities I have lived. It seems that, in Greensboro, there are certain places you must put your old furniture. Not just things like old couches, but plenty of other things. Screen doors, broken dressers, wheels and tires, window panes, pieces of siding, end tables with missing legs, and lots and lots of mattresses.

Now, I think that these things should be taken to the dump or at least put out with the trashcan on Mondays. But maybe there is a rule against that in Greensboro, I don't know. Or if it was in okay condition, I think it should be sold on craigslist--why not make a couple bucks off it? But maybe this stuff isn't in good enough shape to resell. So, I guess that only leaves one option. These pieces of "junk" must be placed on the side of the road. But wait. This cannot just be randomly anywhere on the side of any street. There are specific places on certain streets that, no matter when I drive by, there is a pile of crap. And the pile changes. I don't know if the garbage man eventually picks it up and people put new crap there, or if people take the old crap and other people leave new crap. I do not know. But let me ask you this--who would want to take a used mattress that has also been out in several rainstorms? Not I.

Maybe this phenomenon is a type of "right of passage" into becoming a true Greensboro resident. If so, I don't know if I'll ever fit in!

2 comments:

Tracy said...

Welcome to the South! It's called "help yourself to my crap" If you have anything you don't want, put it on the side of the road- the trash man won't pick it up- but I guarantee someone will :)

And, please come see me Sat. after next. Joshua, Jeremy, and I will be waiting.

His Little Joy said...

"But let me ask you this--who would want to take a used mattress that has also been out in several rainstorms? Not I."


Oops. It was like this in Newark too and I took a used mattress of the side of the road cuz I was sick of sleeping on an air mattress. But then it squeaked too much so I put it out on my side of the road and someone else took it. This is also how I got a table, futon, and tv. It's a great system.